Friday, December 3, 2010

The Countdown Begins...

Greetings and welcome to my Blog. My first blog, ever.

I figured it was time- because the countdown to a very important event in my life, career and the arts community is on the horizon (literally).

Approximately 26 days from today, four RAW team members will depart from our Laguna Hills headquarters. We're traveling the country by 4 wheels and an estimated 10,000 miles... into an abyss of creative cultivation, adventure and by the looks of it, a hell of a lot of snow.
Watching the digital weather map on the news this morning wasn't very comforting. Outdated news graphic snowflakes and white clouds with big green numbers that read "28 degrees" throbbed over every city east of California.

I'm making it my personal mission to not think about the weather, until we're in it. We'll be armed with a trusty white steed, that will conveniently have 4 wheel drive, chains or "cables" as the kids are calling them these days. You'll be able to spot us because we'll have a BIG RAWcross America logo across the car..


The fun of the journey and the unknowns of it haven't quite set in yet. Myself and my team have been working ferociously on this mission since April of this year. The past eight months have been relentless work. Almost every day is about 14 hours of work and sometimes (mostly) weekends.

I'll be honest in saying it hasn't been easy. I think I've gained 10 pounds out of convenience eating, I'm pretty sure I'm starting to look like I'm 45, (at least I feel like a 45-year-old) and I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to all forms of caffeine -- and there is no turning back on that one.

Calls and emails are only the half of it. I have never been so ingrained in my craft, and while my soul is full of excitement for what has been accomplished and what is to come... I'm freaking exhausted!

I recently watched an episode of the show "I Shouldn't be Alive" where a mountain climber man had been pummeled by 2 avalanches, had a head trauma, broken leg, broken hip and broken ankle and he was completely alone scooting across a snowy plain to find sign of another human being. He ended up finding a warm cabin somehow and was fine (obviously, he was narrating the story).

This has been a common analogy between myself and Matt (my partner). The strength it takes even when the chips are down to keep going- sometimes feels like a broken leg, head trauma, broken hip and crushed ankle. Matt and I just look at each other every once and a while and say... "We have two more miles to drag ourselves through the snow." Now that I think of it, that's kind of ironic.

It's been a long road and we haven't even started the drive yet. In February 2011, RAW will be operating into 17 locations nationwide. Imagine a metropolitan city that you love in the U.S. and I'll bet you we're hosting a RAW there. It's going to be phenomenal to get to see whats really going on in all these cities. The real RAW talent that exists and thrives and inspires- and how does their environment and surrounding affect their expression? How intriguing! I can't wait, but as i said I don't think I have even really thought about the fun of it much.

My mind in buried in to-do lists, contracts and about 19 emails every minute.

The countdown has begun. I will be documenting my experiences and the fantastic journey that lies ahead. I encourage you to follow the blog for some interesting stories, pictures and a whole lot of laughs. We'll have videos and blogs from the other team members on the trip so you can get a 360 degree view of what is going on in our 28 degree weather adventure!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment