Thursday, December 9, 2010

With Gratitude...

I'm the oldest of four kids. My two brothers, my sister and I have an iron-clad bond. In a lot of ways, I feel like they're my kids.

Being the oldest, I was naturally the leader. I was the school teacher when we played "School House," I was the director when we played "Make a Movie" and I was the grandma in our oh-so-imaginative skit/play/game that we would play on long road trips called "Gross Grandma."

I have always been the leader of the pack.

My favorite 8th grade America History teacher once said, "Here's what you need to know about any leader in history -- he gets all the credit and all the blame!" I can picture Mr. Johnson now, with his red flannel tucked into his jeans, not a single button undone all the way to his neck. Huge glasses and a gut that competed with the likes of Santa Claus. He was one of the coolest teachers I've ever had. He was classic. (RIP Mr.Johnson)

I never forgot that quote. As I made my way into high school, I really learned what being a leader was. My senior year, I had taken on way too much and was pretty much involved in everything in school. Spearheading Key Club, Dance Team, The Yearbook and probably like 50 other things...I barely remember anymore (my hippocampus is quite full at the moment).

While learning how to be a leader, surveying the patterns of people, and leading several teams -- I lost a lot of faith in the human race. People were flakes, my dance girls would rather hang out with their douche bag boyfriends than come to my practice, and while I was busy trying to inspire and uplift -- there was no one to really inspire me. I had to be the rock, because when the rock crumbles so does the team. Sad story -- I know, but it has a happy ending.

Tonight, I'm beaming with gratitude for the mass of people that I have been lucky enough to surround myself with somehow. What an incredible group of people I work with.

Last night (in the wee hours0 Matt launched the national version of our website, check it out -- it's a beauty! www.RAWartists.org

Vy and Matt slaved over it for the past few weeks. Web design and development is NOT cake! Man, oh man. Cut to me giving them feedback about switching this color, that shape and the space between the logo. My lord, I thought I was going to be murdered with a keyboard.

Vinnie was in the office until almost 10pm last night editing the last of the seasons videos. We brewed coffee around 9pm.

Matt hasn't taken a day off in nearly 2.5 weeks.

Vy worked all Saturday and Sunday. Nick Vu came in to cut cardboard, staple ribbon and paint our RAWards credentials.

To be surrounded by people that just simply care, understand and are willing to do whatever it takes, brings a tear to my eye. They care about the well being of the whole, rather than just themselves. I'm right there with them.

There aren't many people like that out there (trust me I've worked with a ton of them in the past). Reading the blogs of our new Location Directors all over the United States, I've continued to gush with gratitude.

What a time we live in, what an opportunity we have and how lucky we are.

RAW is on the cusp of something so huge, and to look back and reflect on the road here is rewarding, exhausting and a little bit of "thank god that's over." The unknowns become less and less everyday. Everyday, I'm reminded that the vision and the mission is changing lives, helping people and working towards beneficial change on this planet. There is truly no one doing what we're doing, at this magnitude, that cares this much!

I am so very thankful. I raise my coffee cup!

I'm a mere fraction of why RAW is going on the road and expanding, why RAW has been so successful as a concept and a community... just a piece of the RAWberry pie (yes, I'm delirious again).

Though I may be the leader of this pack and I'm prepared to take all of the blame -- I surely don't deserve all the credit.

Thanks, guys. I'm forever indebted to you (especially Matt).

No comments:

Post a Comment